Thursday, April 05, 2018

Still Blowing A Gale Here

Cyclone Iris is currently sitting off Mackay north of us.  When I say 'north of us' it is around 900k's away which is around the same distance as Melbourne is from Sydney!  Despite being so far away, we are not immune from the strong winds associated with the cyclone.  So here it continues to blow strongly coming in off the sea.

As the wind is off the sea it means repeated showers between the sunny breaks for us.  We still have a strong wind warning for this part of the world.  This is not ideal cycling weather and with a new bike sitting under the verandah out the back it is a little frustrating.

I keep an eye on a website called Ozbargain.  This is a website where if someone spots a good deal whether it be online or otherwise they can 'post' it to this website.  From time to time they also have free apps from Google Play.  Usually these 'paid for' apps are just that, but in an effort to boost sales they provide them at no cost for 24 hours.

One such app is "Speed Viewer" which uses the GPS settings on your phone to pinpoint exactly where you are and at what speed you are travelling.  My attention was grabbed when I saw "Cycling" on it today.  I was intrigued so I downloaded the previously "Pay for App" at no charge.

This was yet a further reason to defy the inclement weather and give the new bike and the new android app a try!  So I did make it out for a short ride just before another shower scudded in to the area.  My bike speedometer said I did 4.7k's but the GPS powered app said a little over 5k's.  I guess the second GPS reading is a little closer to being accurate than the speedo reading which is calculated via your wheel size.

But the app also ties into "Google Maps" with a link you can email to yourself. A small screenshot of my shortened bike ride appears above and the link below will take you to the full detailed web page.  It is pretty nifty.  Oh, and the bike went perfectly!  If you click on the link below, it takes quite a few seconds to load so be patient.

http://www.gpxscan.com/gpxgooglemap_v2.jsp?gpx=f587e52c4fcd480e970ac538d68faa2d&share=share

No comments: