Saturday, October 22, 2016

Some Rain On The Way

It is Saturday and I have just returned from "Computer Club" where I had a busy and successful morning.  One lady was so pleased with the help she had received with her laptop over the last couple of weeks she gave me a bottle of Burge Bros Shiraz.  Very nice thankyou.

The new floor coverings have been laid (as you can see below) and everything has been returned to its place (or even a few new places).  The hole I put in the plaster has been patched and some touch up paint applied.  It looks pretty good I reckon.

Several items of furniture which were no longer required finished up sitting on the front lawn with "Free" written on them.  All items had gone within 12 hours.  A new smaller (and much smarter looking) bookcase was purchased and assembled.  Our little house is looking pretty good.

Remember you can click on each photo for a larger view.

I have again sorted the shelving in the garage again and everything looks good there as well.  I did need a Mobic or two to get me through the week but all is good now.  Mobic is an anti inflammatory tablet which I keep for emergency purposes when my back plays up!

I setup up a mate's Minix U1 Android TV Box for him on Tuesday afternoon and he is over the moon with it.  There is a chance his good wife likes the TV Box even more than he does as she finds her way into the TV Series "Tyrant".  He goes to Computer Club as well so was seeking a few reminder tips this morning with which I was able to help him out with.

But probably the biggest success of the week was following up on the patching of the wall in the house.  I managed to put a small hole in the plaster when trying to manoeuvre a small bedside table around a tight corner.  I was able to patch it reasonably OK but then it needed painting!

I believed the original wall paint in the house was British Paints and the color was called Brie.  Off to Bunnings I went to collect as many color cards as I could to try to match the color.  The lady at the Paint Service desk put the color 'brie' into her computer color search and up popped Bristol Paints and the color "Brie".

Former neighbour (and Kodi tragic) Brian, who is now in his 80's but still extremely active, was a house painter by trade. He had a look at my repair job and told me what to do.  The paint in the house is "flat' but I managed to get a .5 litre plastic container of Brie low sheen for $7-50.  Brian suggested getting a cotton cloth and make a ball, dab the ball into the paint and then dab it onto the area to be touched up and slowly dab further outwards in a circular motion.  The paint went onto the patch requiring covering and as you dabbed outwards the paint thinned and it was able to merge into the old paint.

It worked very well indeed.  After the major paint repair the rest of the house walls and front step have been touched up and painted making our 15 year old house look spic and span again.  All for just $7-50 worth of paint.

It is beginning to warm up again so singlets, shorts and scuffs are the go.  The pool is around 22° first thing in the morning so is swimmable!  It has remained windy as we get the northern tip of weather systems which have been blasting Victoria and South Australia the last week or so.  The latest change is due to hit overnight giving us a change of wind direction and a drop of rain.  10 ml or thereabouts is expected which is not much more than a springtime shower up here!

The pool will get a top up again with the rain.  The warm windy weather sure gets the evaporation rate up, even the front lawn is turning yellow for the need for water.  All that should change overnight!

No comments: