Monday, February 15, 2016

Monday's News

The direct telecast of the Australia Vs New Zealand cricket Test match from NZ has just finished so life will return to some form of normality again in our household.  Australia has had a strong win in the First Test, the Second Test begins on Saturday coming up.  The telecast has begun around 7:30 am daily here in southern Queensland and only on Pay TV.  So by 7:30 am, that is where I am, sitting in front of the TV.

I did get to Computer Club for a short time on Saturday morning but then was straight home by 11 am to ensure I didn't miss too much of the play.

My maths from the previous post was out by a week so it looks like if the better internet speed is switched on, it should be a further week away than I had first suggested.  As I get older the weeks just seem to mould into each other anyway.

The weather has been relatively cool for this time of the year with it being high 20's, overcast and showery most days recently, however clearer blue skies returned yesterday (Sunday) afternoon with the temperature making it into the low 30's.  The pool probably peaked yesterday a little under 27°.

I haven't been on a bike ride since the cricket began opting to prop in front of the telly instead.

Being the member of several 'clubs' in this part of the world you get freebies to celebrate your birthday.  So last Thursday, 6 of us headed off to the Kings Beach Surf Club as a couple of us have February birthdays.

I was given the stainless steel mug in the photo above as a birthday gift by one of the couples with us.  The mug itself is actually quite light as it appears to be 'double layered' with a vacuum between the layers.  This makes the mug insulated and keeps drinks quite cool!  It is great.

The meal, company and the evening were all great.  The only downside was there were very few in attendance which causes clubs such as the one we were at to close early.  Few customers make it unprofitable to remain open.  So come 9pm we were hustled back onto the free bus and sent on our way back home!

I have bottled the most recent brew and now have just about caught up with supplies.  I guess I will need to make another brew later this week with bottle washing and bottling about 2 weeks away.

With a former cyclone around 1000k's off the coast we have quite blustery conditions today.

It is a big week coming up for Community Association business with me now 'out' Tuesday and Thursday nights for meetings.  We will use up more 'freebies' on Wednesday (my actual birthday) at the local RSL Club.  Just Trish and I will be going!

My inexpensive phone I bought from China is now around 18 months old and still does everything I want a phone to do.  The other day it suddenly shut down and wouldn't fully start up again.  It turned out the battery needed recharging which was strange as just before shutting down it was showing 83% of battery was left.

A bit of Googling has shown that most likely the battery is on the way out.  The same thing happened to Trish's phone but rather than swap the battery we bought her a new phone.  We still keep Trish's old phone (with the crook battery) as an emergency backup.  I have since ordered a couple of replacement batteries from China via eBay, one for my phone and the other for the backup phone.

One was AUD$18, the other from a different store in China was AUD$10.  Problem is they are about 4 weeks away from delivery!  After recharging my phone, it has been holding its charge reasonably well so I will keep my fingers crossed to get another month's use from it.

And finally, I have discovered this website:  http://dl.tehmovies.com/

All links are interesting especially the one labelled "94".  The ../ link takes you back to the previous page.  Serial link is interesting as well.  Have a good look and follow as many links as you want to find heaps of interesting and recently updated stuff.

No comments: