Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Wet Weather Heads To NSW

Grey skies and plenty of rain has been the highlight here for the last few days. Our totals are in the vicinity of 100mls (4") the last day or so but other Sunshine Coast areas have had much more than that. The pool is full again! The rain is now heading south towards NSW.

I was to do a Tutorial at the Sunshine Coast Computer Club (SCCC) yesterday on Skype and Facebook. I was going to install Skype on a SCCC laptop and walk people through the process of setting up their microphone, their webcam and creating a Skype account. However we must have caught the laptop I was going to use half way through a Firewall update because the firewall refused to let me install Skype. This made a mess of the Tutorial and meant I had to spend a little more time on Facebook. I walked people through my Facebook Page and showed how you were able to keep up with everyone's news, about creating a Facebook account, looking at photo albums etc.

I will be wary next time I do a tutorial down there on their equipment.

Trish's laptop is running awfully slowly at the moment. It runs XP and doesn't have enough RAM. XP needs at least 500MB of RAM and this only has 256MB. It requires having the system wiped off and everything reinstalled again. It currently takes over 10 minutes to start up. After a reformat the startup time should be reduced to a few minutes.

We have seen some great movies lately. "Changeling" has probably been the best one, a great story and based on actual events. Angelina Jolie has an Oscar nomination in this one. "Doubt" was great too. Meryl Streep has been nominated in this one and plays the role of a Catholic School Principal who follows through on her hunches. It brought back some memories of times when I was a principal. Last night we watched "The Reader" in which Kate Winslet gets an Oscar nomination. Another great story.

Movies I get from the internet seem to come in bits and starts. There were many great movies there a few weeks ago, now the selection is very ordinary!

No comments: