Friday, January 25, 2019

Another Week

It is getting a little like Darwin up here, the weather forecast hardly changes from day to day.  Max around 32°, Min low 20's and plenty of sunshine.  And that's the way it has been almost every day.  We did manage a ml of rain overnight some a few sections of lawn don't crackle beneath your feet until around lunchtime when the little bit of rain we had has all dried up.

The water evaporation rate out of the pool means a top up from the hose every three or four days.  The pool is around 30° most afternoons and 27° first thing after a bike ride.

Now I have downloaded and begun to use a 'new' bike riding app called Openrider.  I have downloaded a picture of the screen and as you can see it gives you the speed you are doing along with your current distance travelled and average speed.  Unlike the pic, my screen is all kilometres.

I have found the 'Average Speed' readout a bit of a trap as I push myself to better the average speed each and every trip.  I now aim for an average speed of around 18.5 kmph.  I did an average speed of 19.5 kmph on a 15k ride the other day and it almost killed me.  On top of being absolutely (very tired) straining to maintain the extra speed also has thrown my back out!  I am back to the Chiro again early next week.

To cart my backup bits and pieces around with me I have bolted an $8 plastic box from Bunnings onto a KMart Bike carrier rack.  I have since decided to upgrade and bought a pannier carrier bag and a new pannier carrier rack.  The bag has zips everywhere with bits that open up to provided added storage.

The side bits unzip and a 'pannier' bag (or deep side bag) opens up for added storage.  The new carrier rack has added guards so the pannier bag is kept away from the rear wheels.  I bought both on eBay.  I nearly fell over when the carrier rack was delivered.  There were heaps of nuts and bolts in a plastic bag and no instructions on how to put it all together.

But as you can see I got there with great help from Trish.  If Trish hadn't have been there is suggest the bike rack would have finished up in the pool!

We are both well (except for my crook back) and getting involved with our local Community organizations again.  I almost have a Newsletter to do but we have decided to cutback on Newsletters to 6 per annum rather than the previous 8.  It just takes some of the pressure off needing to get something done.

Trish has a "Market day" to sort on Saturday so that will keep her busy.  There is a little tennis left to watch and there is some cricket as well.

With the Academy Awards not far away we are getting quite a few 'screeners' to watch.  Screeners are lower quality (but perfectly watchable) copies of movies which have been nominated for awards.  these copies are distributed to judges all over the world so it is no surprise some copies finish up 'online'.  Bohemian Rhapsody has been the best we've see so far.  The Green Book, Vice, The Wife, and there are more that we have enjoyed recently.

So all is going along nicely at the moment!

No comments: