Sunday, January 31, 2016

Cancellation

I am writing this Sunday morning from our home on the Sunshine Coast.  I had expected to be in Melbourne this morning, just waking up from attending my nephew's wedding and reception and catching up with my brother and sister on Saturday night.

All that changed at around 5:40 am our time on Saturday morning.  Trish had showered and was almost ready for the drive to Brisbane Airport when she received an email saying our flight had been cancelled and we had been rescheduled to fly at 5:30pm that evening.  With a 4pm wedding to get to in Melbourne this did not suit us.

There were mechanical issues with the plane and the smart thing for the airline to do was to cancel the flight. Alternative flights were going to make the timing a tight fit and were quite expensive!

We had no option than to contact relations in Melbourne and inform them of our news and that we regretfully had to pull out of attending the wedding.

I have since had a call from my nephew saying they were spending a week or so in Noosa and there are some plans afoot to try and catch up in Noosa (50k's away from us) sometime next week if possible. I have since seen some photos taken at the reception and it seems the promised wet weather had held off and things went off as planned.

Our motel accommodation has a 24 hour beforehand cancellation deal so we may have lost that money as well as the car parking fee we had already paid.  We have already received notification of a full refund of our airfares though.

The weather here is either extremely hot and muggy or it is raining!  It seems it may stay that way for much of next week.  I am currently (at 7:30 am) ready to bike ride but it sure looks threatening outside as if the heavens could open up at any time.

With the flight cancelled I did get to Computer Club yesterday.  It was reasonably busy but I still had time for a good chat.

There was an elderly guy there who would have a tear fall from his eyes every few minutes. His wife had recently passed away and he was obviously grieving.  He had 'her' Samsung Galaxy tablet and didn't have a clue how to use it.  He was worried about the tablet asking him for a password and didn't know what to do.

After having a look for him it appears his wife had set up an Outlook email account for him (which he never used or even knew about) and each time he started the tablet up, it was unable to login.

I deleted the email account for him and gave him a quick lesson on how to get on the internet and do a little browsing, how wifi worked and few other basics.  I think it was at least a more positive experience for him in what had been a recent period of repetitive negatives.  I believe currently his wife's clothes are spread throughout the house being readied to be gotten rid of.  He was extremely thankful for my help.

I might just stick my head outside and see if a bike ride is on the cards!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Geez mate, bloody airlines!
Well done in helping the old codger.
Cheers,
Loges